NOVEL: Markus Zusak, The Book Thief (2005)
There was a lot I didn't like in this story of a book-loving young tomboy growing up in Nazi Germany. I disliked the choice of Death as narrator: he's obnoxious, and the device only detracts from the book. I disliked the writing style: every time the writer tries to be lyrical, it comes across as forced, and every time he tries to phrase something in an original way, it doesn't describe well what it's supposed to describe. Thirdly, there were many things in the book for which I could not suspend disbelief. I couldn't believe that a bloodthirsty lifelong fist fighter could be as gentle as Max was to Liesel; I couldn't believe that it is possible for a kid to have the same nightmare every night for four years; I couldn't believe that a person can sleep for several weeks without so much as IV fluids and survive. Finally, the Holocaust just isn't done justice here.
What *did* I like? I'm a sucker for a passionate love story. The tale of the intense bond between Rudy and Liesel, the desire, the ignorance that came from being too young, the tension, the regret--that is what I will happily take away. Max loved Liesel too, and Hans. I think that is the only way in which I could see this book as being "life changing" (the NYT soundbite on the cover): it kinda makes you yearn to love the way these people do.
1 Comments:
This is one of those books that's been languishing on my Amazon wishlist forever. Glad I can remove it!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home