Sunday, December 02, 2007

Remarks upon finishing the seven Harry Potter books

(With the exception of the revelatory name of one facebook group, the ending was kindly not given away to me; the following, in the same spirit, will contain no overt spoilers.)

This ending to the series was satisfying enough, I suppose. There is a question that comes up in the penultimate chapter that is never answered. The book is overlong--episodic in a numbing way--and in particular the last two chapters and the epilogue seem tacked-on. I didn't cry at the end the way I was promised I would, although the Regulus and Percy moments did draw sobs. The story arcs of Dumbledore's and Snape's lives were fairly good. I did not care for the Hallows plotline. I still can't imagine any sexual chemistry between one of the books' major couples. Ginny I'm a fan of, although why would you hide a lovely name like Ginevra to go by Ginny? My favorite line in Book 7: "Look at me." Magnificent.

The series as a whole is rather preachy in its message to children. My favorites are still Book 1, which has the most emotional power, and Book 3, which has the best plot. I wouldn't list Harry Potter among my favorite books. They are not very well-written, and I would cite three reasons to invest time in them. Read them for the pleasing twists here and there. Read them for the well-imagined Wizarding world which makes you wish school were that cool. Read them in order to be part of a major pop culture phenomenon of our day, especially if you miss (in Miniver Cheevy fashion) a time when contemporary fiction was more culturally relevant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home